[Foundation-l] What to do with moribund languages?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 09:51:08 UTC 2009

Hoi,
The notion that a language is moribund is problematic. Choosing a level of
100 speakers is arbitrary, because who says so. The requirements are that
someone who speaks the language natively is part of the starting project is
already tough. When people have created an incubator project, the language
committee does check if the language is indeed what it is said to be. In the
end, small languages do not cost us much anyway. New projects start nowadays
with at least some 200/300 articles and consequently new projects are bigger
then the bottom 40 Wikipedias

What I find more problematic are the people who suggest new project because
they just think it a good idea. They waste our time. New languages are
welcome, but we really need a community to support any language project.
Thanks,
      GerardM