[Foundation-l] Ombudsman commission

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Fri Jan 2 16:59:34 UTC 2009

effe iets anders wrote:
> Hm, I always saw the ombudsman commission as a commission very different and
> seperate from the whole commission structure. If I recall correctly, it was
> mainly to fill a Real Gap, namely an option to file complaints for breach of
> privacy policy. I think this clearly defined mission is quite different from
> for instance communication committee, special projects committee and
> chapters committee, which are much more vaguely defined, no clear purposes
> and with vague membership and authority to the outer world. As I saw and see
> it, is the ombudsman commission a replacement for a real ombudsman, a place
> to file complaints without having to go to court.
>
> Therefore, I'd like to plea to remain this structure if there are no
> complaints about that as such, no matter what happens to the commission
> structure as a whole.

I don't expect that we will abolish the ombudsman function entirely, I
didn't intend to give that impression. I appreciate that it has a
rationale, but the sense I've gotten from feedback so far is that the
existing system hasn't really met the needs of either the foundation or
the affected parts of the community. That's an incomplete sample of
information, though, so if somebody wants to speak up and make the case
for why the current setup is the best approach, I'm certainly open to
that as well.

--Michael Snow