[Foundation-l] dumps

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 00:11:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:44 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's too easy for a nominally "open" project to effectively be
> proprietised by just not providing the data/code/etc.

Sure.  That's not the issue here, but more people indicating how much
they care about good dumps (I do! also full commons dumps, please.)
should help.

> (We will gloss over the idea that has occurred to me and several
> others that a nuke-and-pave of the project spaces might be the
> only way to fix en:wp's terminal instruction creep.)

You often make me smile in the middle of distressing threads.

> See my blog post of a coupla years ago on the subject:
>
> http://davidgerard.co.uk/notes/2007/04/10/disaster-recovery-planning/

It would be good to take another look at contingency plans, not only
tech backups and alternatives but also ensuring resources go into
safety nets such as an endowment.

SJ