[Foundation-l] status of the licensing update

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 21:52:17 UTC 2009

2009/2/22 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:
>> The reasons are fairly obvious - the FSF
>> wants people to still be using their license and the WMF felt the need
>> to compromise, so agreed to it.
>

> If the FSF wants people to still be using their license [for Wikipedia], why
> would the FSF compromise?
>
> Do you think the FSF is allowing Wikipedia to switch to CC-BY-SA even though
> they think the GFDL is a better license, for Wikipedia?
>
> There's gotta be more to it than that.

Yeah, I kind of glossed over that point because I wasn't sure. Clearly
they want their license to be used, but I'm not sure who by.
Presumably by people reusing Wikipedia content. That is, they want
people to still have the option of using their license when reusing
our content, but they acknowledge that most people would rather us
CC-by-SA, which is why they have allowed us to switch.