[Foundation-l] status of the licensing update

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Feb 22 21:25:03 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't know if it's written down or not, but that email makes it
> fairly public. From what I can tell, it was just a compromise made
> during the negotiations.

I guess, although if it is written I'd be interested in exactly what was
promised.

> The reasons are fairly obvious - the FSF
> wants people to still be using their license and the WMF felt the need
> to compromise, so agreed to it.

If the FSF wants people to still be using their license [for Wikipedia], why
would the FSF compromise?

Do you think the FSF is allowing Wikipedia to switch to CC-BY-SA even though
they think the GFDL is a better license, for Wikipedia?

There's gotta be more to it than that.