[Foundation-l] Fwd: Judd Bagley presentation on Wikipedia

Foundation-l list admin foundation-l-owner at lists.wikimedia.org
Sat Feb 21 14:04:49 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Charles Ainsworth <cla68 at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 9:04 AM
Subject: Judd Bagley presentation on Wikipedia
To: foundation-l-owner at lists.wikimedia.org

If you aren't familiar with the history behind this episode, Judd
Bagley was banned from en.Wikipedia for trying to out a financial
journalist who had created several user accounts in Wikipedia to
promote naked short selling.  Partly as a result of his experience,
Bagley has created a presentation which he gave recently to a class of
business students at the University of Texas.  The presentation is
here - http://antisocialmedia.net/lecture1/player.html.

The first part of the presentation concerns the efforts by several
individuals in the finance industry to manipulate the Internet to
promote naked short selling (NSS).  Starting on slide 52, Bagley
describes an attempt by one of the NSS proponents to use Wikipedia as
a promotional tool for himself as well as for NSS.  Bagley then
describes what happened when he attempted to intervene.

I believe that personally hearing Bagley's experiences and lessons
learned would be of benefit for the WMF.  I suggest that the WMF
consider inviting Bagley to give his presentation to WMF's staff and
boardmembers.  I believe that Bagley's contact information is
available on his website- http://antisocialmedia.net/.

Charles Ainsworth (Cla68 on en.Wikipedia)

--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler at gmail.com