[Foundation-l] status of the licensing update

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 16:43:20 UTC 2009

I  have never understood why any substantial contributor to Wikipedia
here would feel that attributing the specific text the contributed to
an article to them individually if an article is reprinted  is to
their benefit--given that the text will have been almost entirely
replaced, modified, and fragmented?  I can understand why the greater
of an image might what specific attribution preserved, but for almost
all articles, the individual contribution is almost entirely
submerged.

To make this more specific,  I ask anyone who would pull his text
contributions out of Wikipedia is given the choice between doing so
and accepting a license without such attribution to indicate their
contributions and explain why in context it matters to them.   No
generalities, please, but specific articles whose history we can
examine.

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>
>> I'd much rather see a switch to the GSFDL, with some sort of clause added
>> to that license allowing combining of history lines into a single line
>> listing all significant authors, in the case of an MMORPG (or whatever it is
>> the FSF has chosen for the codeword for Wikipedia).
>>

> Or perhaps even better, as more generally, in the case of any back-to-back
> history lines with the same title and publisher (in whatever necessary
> lawyer-speak).

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.