[Foundation-l] Steward elections: summary, week one

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 09:06:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I have written before, I disagree with "Ignore All Rules" because
> there are some rules that should NOT be ignored. Ignore all rules is a
> good rule when applied to rules about what the lay-out of Wikipedia
> pages should look like. Not when it is applied to rules that ensure
> that people in positions of responsibility, like Steward, have the
> trust of the populace.

Or as another way to look at it: Ignore All Rules has the important
additional phrase to it, for example on the English Wikipedia (the
original form) it says:

"If a rule prevents you from improving or maintaining Wikipedia, ignore it."

Before invoking IAR, one should look at the consequences. Is it in the
good of the projects and the foundation to break the rule? I don't
think that in this case it is. Yes, we might lose a potential good
Steward because of it, but in my opinion the risk of losing people's
trust in the Steward selection process weighs heavier.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com