[Foundation-l] FW: [Wikinews-l] Increased incivility at wikinews [en] <warning: contains rant>

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 5 15:13:43 UTC 2009

on 2/5/09 9:40 AM, Andrew Whitworth at wknight8111 at gmail.com wrote:

> Not all projects. I'd like to take this opportunity to shamelessly
> plug Wikibooks, which is as close to utopia as we get here in wiki
> world. We don't fight, there's very little hostility, and a relatively
> small number of hardworking users are producing a pretty impressive
> group of free textbooks. </shameless plug>.

There should be no shame in pride of one's work, Andrew ;-). I do
congratulate you and your editors in maintaining a workspace that is both
open and civil.

> Projects are self-administering. If you feel the projects are not
> functioning properly it is the fault of the project, not the fault of
> the foundation. Get your admins to block your trouble users, and if
> the admins themselves are causing trouble then petition to have them
> removed. Everybody wants the WMF "hand of god" to swing down from the
> sky and deliver relief to various community problems. It won't happen
> and it can't possibly work anyway. Change and solutions have to come
> from within, or they won't come at all.

I have been trying for over two years to bring this issue to the serious
attention of the "powers that be" in the English Wikipedia. My messages are
met either with a "there he goes again" attitude, or are not acknowledged at
all. Where does one go from there if not the Foundation itself?

>> And, Erik, when I broached this subject in a private email conversation with
>> you, you never even acknowledged receipt of that email. What would you have
>> done if we were speaking to each other in person - stare at me in silence?
>> That, alone, speaks volumes.
>
> And what response do you want from him? This isn't his problem to solve.

In a professional setting I would expect an acknowledgement that the email
was at least received.

Marc