[Foundation-l] advertising craigslist

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 15:47:49 UTC 2009

2009/12/15 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> 2009/12/15 Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com>:
>
>> If that's true, I am even more against this... what does that say about us?
>

> Didn't we have this discussion around Virgin Unite?
>
> >http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/UnNews:Wikimedia_Foundation_to_introduce_paid_editing

To an extent. Of course Virgin Unite has since been used in regular
Virgin adverts which further strengthens the case of those that
opposed it.

> Craig Newmark's on the WMF advisory board. Craigslist is already
> famous. I really think it's pushing us forward, not the other way
> around.

Craig Newmark has around  300K google results. Jimbo is at half a
million. Craigslist is at about 65 million wikipedia is at about 300
million. For groups that almost entirely exist online that's a fair
solid way of showing which is more significant. In terms of using fame
to push us forwards about the only web company owners who might be
able to do that would be  Mark Zuckerberg and google's co-founders.
And no they wouldn't be a good idea either.

Craigslist has some PR problems at the moment what with all the scams
and the various law enforcement agencies objecting to some of their
personal ads. Associating with a project with some of the most
titanium hardened community driven altruism credentials on the web is
a valid strategy for trying to return to the image they like to
maintain.

--
geni