[Foundation-l] advertising craigslist

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Tue Dec 15 16:36:50 UTC 2009

geni wrote:
> 2009/12/15 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
>
>> Craig Newmark's on the WMF advisory board. Craigslist is already
>> famous. I really think it's pushing us forward, not the other way
>> around.
>>
> Craig Newmark has around  300K google results. Jimbo is at half a
> million. Craigslist is at about 65 million wikipedia is at about 300
> million. For groups that almost entirely exist online that's a fair
> solid way of showing which is more significant. In terms of using fame
> to push us forwards about the only web company owners who might be
> able to do that would be  Mark Zuckerberg and google's co-founders.

That's a strangely limited notion of who has the capability to help -
only people who are quantitatively more famous than us? For a project
that's built around lots and lots of individual contributions (whether
we're talking content, finances, or publicity), none of them especially
huge in the overall scheme of things, it seems completely backwards to
suggest that such things are useless if they don't dwarf what has
already been achieved.

--Michael Snow