[Foundation-l] Whither, video tutorials?

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 20:03:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 7:39 PM, Lennart Guldbrandsson
<wikihannibal at gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the information, Lennart.

> The films were ready by some time in the spring of 2009, I guess, and
> Wikimedia Sverige showed them to a mildly impressed audience at our AGM.
> There was no premiere or big news item about it and the whole thing went
> almost unnoticed. Perhaps the idea was flawed, or the execution, or the
> process, but either way, the films was not a success by any measure.

Oh dear, it sounds like you're a little downhearted by the affair. But
I enjoyed them. I guess it's fair to say that I'm a pretty committed
Wikipedian, though, and the videos weren't really aimed at me.

> But this wasn't the "whole truth". All in all, if memory serves, there was
> talk about a further dozen or so further films. The further films was
> intended to deal with the various other questions that the audience may
> have: reverts, NPOV, the principles, copyright, and so on. Perhaps this is a
> project that the Bookshelf will take care of, or maybe this is something
> that is better done by amateurs on YouTube?

There's been some talk on the Strategy wiki and it's clear that some
people are quite keen on further video content:

http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tutorials

I hope you don't feel crestfallen by the videos. I liked them!