[Foundation-l] Assume Good Faith and Don't Bite Newbees

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 12:14:51 UTC 2009

But perhaps what you are suggesting is something along the lines of a
"verified account" (like in Twitter recently). Perhaps it wouldn't scale
well, I'm not sure. This is probably digressing from the original subject
but perhaps it might be an interesting technical solution for a question
that many experts/academics/GLAMs etc. have asked - "we would like
recognition". Could this mean that the user (e.g. a museum) could place
their logo on their userpage and say "these are our official actions on
Wikipedia and these are our official photograph uploads to Wikimedia
Commons". This would give us the ability to offer something that has made
FlickrCommons so popular - institutional recognition.

If there was a way to verify that a user with an institutional name was the
"real" institution (that wasn't too bureaucratically difficult to set up, or
administer) would that go some of the way to solving the problem of why we
don't accept institutional accounts?

It doesn't solve the other reason why institutional user accounts are banned
- because they can be "promotional" - but that is more a matter of the
content that they create rather than the username itself.

-Liam [[witty lama]]

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata