[Foundation-l] Follow up: Fan History joining the WMF family

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 05:49:18 UTC 2009

Hoi,
You might have waved a red rag, time to hoist the pirate flag... What
nonsense. Wikipedia is the Wikimedia Foundation's biggest project and indeed
it gets most of the attention and most of the tender loving care. HOWEVER,
there are other projects that are most definitely not encyclopaedic and that
are massively important, relevant even succesful. Not just Commons, but also
projects like Wiktionary, Wikinews...

These projects are successful despite the lack of focussed attention given
to Wikipedia. This will be partially remedied with the Commons project.
Similar projects could and should be considered for the other projects. The
best argument I have heard so far why this is not done is that the WMF lacks
the resources to do this and do this well at this time.

It has been argued in the past that projects like Wiktionary would do better
outside the WMF. This might be true, personally I am not sure.
Thanks,,
     GerardM