[Foundation-l] FlaggedRevs on Hungarian Wikipedia still not working

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 29 14:59:33 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 8/29/09, Marcus Buck <me at marcusbuck.org> wrote:

> From: Marcus Buck <me at marcusbuck.org>
> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] FlaggedRevs on Hungarian Wikipedia still not working
> Date: Saturday, August 29, 2009, 4:36 AM
> Birgitte SB hett schreven:
> > I hope someone is able to shortly fix this issue for
> you.
> >
> > However I think you have a mistaken idea about WMF.
> The reason people are wanted to join meta-projects is to
> ensure that their local wikis issues are understood. The
> meta-projects *are* hu.WP's projects, not competition for
> hu.WP. If you, or someone like you, is not part of
> foundation discussions to both speak up about hu.WP concerns
> and also to better inform hu.WP discussions about larger
> issues and trends, then how can hu.WP be properly cared for?
> Certainly everyone here wishes success for hu.WP and that
> her volunteers are active and happy.  But for the most
> part, people here are not some abstract "WMF-people" who
> have neglected hu.WP.  We are en.WS people or fr.WP
> people or de.WP people.
> >
> > I originally joined this list much like you did.
> Rather upset at what felt was attacks on en.WS's sincere
> efforts to do the right thing and general lack of help for
> us. These "WMF-people" had been talking about en.WS and
> saying we would have to delete the UK Hunting Act. I came
> here hoping to convince these people to actually help us:
> tell us exactly what copyright allows (very naive I know)
> rather than just dictating that our stuff be deleted without
> clarification.  But I discovered that these
> "WMF-people" were no more than people just like me.
> Passionate people who found their way here with their feet
> still firmly planted in their own particular interests. They
> meant no harm to en.WS, but en.WS didn't rate very high in
> their concerns either.  I quickly realized that someone
> from en.WS better keep on top of things here, before our
> interests got inadvertently squashed by someones pet
> issue.  Or we merely got forgotten.
> >
> > So I understand how you might be hoping for for
> solutions and answers to be found here. I certainly did, but
> I learned it was a mistake to think there was such authority
> here. You will find opinions and ideas here. Sometimes you
> may find needed attention. (I hope this is the case today!)
> But the only real answer for solving hu.WP issues is to see
> that hu.WP is in WMF.  hu.WP people must be in WMF
> people. hu.WP developers must be in WMF developers. hu.WP
> projects must be in WMF projects.  Then hu.WP will find
> real answers and solutions.  Or at least, they will
> find answers and solutions as well as anyone does.
> >
> > Birgitte SB
> >
> Well, on a general participation level it's all true, what
> you are
> saying. But looking at the actual issue "Flagged Revs at
> hu.wp" it's
> very clear: The Foundation pays staff to do administrative
> tasks local
> projects cannot do. It's their job to do it. And they
> [...]

You cut off the part of Tisza's message with was not particularly about the call for technical help.  Those were the sentiments I was replying to.  I don't disagree that the bug should be fixed sooner.  Every single wiki thinks their bugs could be fixed sooner, and I have personally written about the need for bugs to be prioritized better in the past.  I have no disagreement there.

Birgitte SB