[Foundation-l] Wikispecies

Andrew Leung andrewcleung at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 27 15:37:04 UTC 2009

> Wikispecies will have a niche if it can prove to be regularly on the
> leading edge.
>
> Has there been any discussions about putting newly described species
> onto the front page?  If the information is made accessible, Wikinews
> editors could write up stories about new discoveries.

Too many new species are described (note: described =/= discovered) each week. We did have an idea of featuring 1 species per day/week but the idea got fizzled when the amount of workload is involved.

> What is the "2-year delay" ?  I have looked at the AEMNP website, and
> all of their articles appear to be availabl on their website.  What is
> their open access policy?
>
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Acta_Entomologica_Musei_Nationalis_Pragae

The home page (http://www.aemnp.eu/) only shows some highlighted papers in the latest article. For all papers, you will have to go to http://www.aemnp.eu/latest_issue.htm, but you will discover that the majority of the pdfs only provide an abstract. They will only release the full paper after that 2 year delay, but they kindly granted us access to the full versions of all online issues. For comparsion, those with the restrictions lifted will have a page that has links with the pdf logo (e.g. http://www.aemnp.eu/Volume45.htm) while those still under the delay shows the majority of papers having the textpad logo instead (e.g. http://www.aemnp.eu/Volume48_2.htm)

Andrew

"Fill the world with children who care and things start looking up."