[Foundation-l] Wikispecies

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 04:51:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 3:52 AM, Andrew Leung<andrewcleung at hotmail.com> wrote:
>..
> We often get compared between Encyclopedia of Life (EOL), so I grabbed a correspondence with someone who shares data to both EOL and Wikispecies (permission already granted beforehand by these 2 individuals on quoting this email). The Zookeys, a peer-reviewed scientific journal on species, publisher Dr. Lyubomir Penev said this to a Wikispecies editor:
>
> "Today I was amazed to see that your latest edit of the Haplodesmidae page (with my Agathodesmus revision and Sergei  Golovatch's Eutrichodesmus paper) was dated 19 June, *one day* after ZooKeys published it. You may even have beaten ZooBank, which   links to ZooKeys."

:-)

Wikispecies will have a niche if it can prove to be regularly on the
leading edge.

Has there been any discussions about putting newly described species
onto the front page?  If the information is made accessible, Wikinews
editors could write up stories about new discoveries.

> Finally, to dismiss any claims that Wikispecies is a zero quality project, we have an agreed collaboration with ZooKeys, which will see hundreds of new species images continuously being uploaded to Commons. We are already planning another collaboration with Acta Entomologica Musei Nationalis Pragae which will grant us permission to upload their otherwise-copyrighted images to Commons under CC-BY-SA 3.0 to illustrate articles in WMF. We also granted special access to their pdf papers without a 2-year delay. Has any WMF projects successfully worked out collaborations to get large quantities of new species images in high quality and accuracy?

What is the "2-year delay" ?  I have looked at the AEMNP website, and
all of their articles appear to be availabl on their website.  What is
their open access policy?

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Acta_Entomologica_Musei_Nationalis_Pragae

--
John Vandenberg