[Foundation-l] Omidyar Network Commits $2 Million Grant to Wikimedia Foundation

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 19:36:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Gregory Maxwell<gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Robert Rohde<rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:
>> However, in this case, even if we
>> assume the seat was outright "bought" for $2M, I don't think there are
>
> I'm not sure why people are behaving as though there is any ambiguity
> on this point.
> The Omidyar Network agreed to make a donation to the Wikimedia
> Foundation with the understood condition that their representative
> would receive a seat on the board.
>
> There is no need for speculation, it is what it is, like it or dislike it.

I hedged my language because I don't believe it is that simple.  I do
believe the money and the seat are linked, but I don't believe just
anyone could buy a seat for $2M.  For example, I doubt Mr. Kohs would
be seated even if he had $2M to offer.  Describing the seat as being
"bought" ignores the fact that Mr. Halprin does bring valuable skills,
associations, and what appears to be a compatible philosophy.  Would
he have been appointed without the financial backing?  Probably not.
But I don't believe it was the only factor under consideration.  (Or
at least I want to believe that the existing Board is capable of
walking away from "piles of money" if it came with too many strings
and conflicts attached.)

-Robert Rohde