[Foundation-l] Omidyar Network Commits $2 Million Grant to Wikimedia Foundation

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 19:26:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Guillaume Paumier<guillom.pom at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> It is very common for members of the board of a non-profit
> organisation to donate money to support this organisation.

It was my understanding that the appointment was of Matt Halprin, not
the Omidyar Network.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Robert Rohde<rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, in this case, even if we
> assume the seat was outright "bought" for $2M, I don't think there are

I'm not sure why people are behaving as though there is any ambiguity
on this point.
The Omidyar Network agreed to make a donation to the Wikimedia
Foundation with the understood condition that their representative
would receive a seat on the board.

There is no need for speculation, it is what it is, like it or dislike it.