[Foundation-l] Raw data of 2009 Board election ballots

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 18:28:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Brian<Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:
> The reason we let such a tiny fraction of the community vote is because of
> an irrational and inflated fear of fraudulent votes. The risk has been blown
> entirely out of proportion and absolutely no technical measures have been
> been pursued. The Board and those who they coordinate with technically sit
> around and drum up the scariest possible situations they can think of and
> then develop a policy which prevents it from happening without even
> considering technologies that would allow more people to vote. You say its a
> legitimate risk, but you do not quantify how risky you believe it is. The
> answer is that it is almost zero.

You've conflated issues.
Regardless how how eligibility works the decision to release ballots
or not has implications. It's a separate issue.
I'm not sure how to make it more clear that were not discussing voter
eligibility here.

So instead lets discuss eligibility some: Can you provide the
eligibility criteria you'd like to apply? Please be precise and
actionable, i.e. make sure that I could write a program using the
publicly available data to determine eligibility.  I think this would
be most enlightening.

(Oh, and in the future please provide citations when you make claims
like 'the board is drumming up scary situations', because as far as I
know it's not correct and you're just ranting.)