[Foundation-l] Raw data of 2009 Board election ballots

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Wed Aug 26 18:13:33 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Brian<Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:
> > This kind of fear mongering attitude is why we can't allow more members
> of
> > the community to vote. You'd rather spread FUD about vote buying than
> design
> > a system that allows the largest number of community members to vote.
>
> What on earth are you talking about?
>
> Tim is concerned about legitimate risk.  I don't share Tim's opinion
> on the matter but I certainly don't consider it "fear mongering".
> Like anything else it's a decision where benefits must be weighed vs
> costs.  Fortunately the decision to disclose ballots isn't one that
> interacts heavily with making the voting system open to many people.

The reason we let such a tiny fraction of the community vote is because of
an irrational and inflated fear of fraudulent votes. The risk has been blown
entirely out of proportion and absolutely no technical measures have been
been pursued. The Board and those who they coordinate with technically sit
around and drum up the scariest possible situations they can think of and
then develop a policy which prevents it from happening without even
considering technologies that would allow more people to vote. You say its a
legitimate risk, but you do not quantify how risky you believe it is. The
answer is that it is almost zero.