[Foundation-l] Omidyar Network Commits $2 Million Grant to Wikimedia Foundation

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 01:28:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Gregory Kohs<thekohser at gmail.com> wrote:
> *Jan-Bart de Vreede said:
> *
> "the next year will be crucial for us as an
>
> organization in determining our long term strategy. But that process
> is shaped by YOU. The tremendous strategy project (details at
> http://strategy.wikimedia.org
>  ) started a month ago is making good first steps. The Board of
> Trustees does not own any of the Wikimedia projects, you do.
> Participate on the strategy wiki (and encourage others to do so) to
> help determine the future direction of our organization, you will
> probably have more impace than any single board member ever will..."
>
> ++++++++
>
> I offered a proposal at the Wikimedia Strategy project, with supporting
> links to outside, independent documentation.  Within about 40 minutes, the
> proposal was removed, and I was indefinitely blocked from that particular
> project, including IP address blocking.   This, despite the fact that I
> almost single-handedly wrote the sampling design and fine-tuned literally
> all of the 2009 Foundation Development Survey for the WMF on the Meta
> project.
>
> But, I "own" the Wikimedia projects?  I will have more impact by being
> blocked from the Wikimedia Strategy project than any single board member
> (including Jimmy Wales?) ever will?
>
> Your pithy inspirational motivations are ringing hollow for me, Mr. de
> Vreede.

Stepping sideways from the poking at each other...

As I'm not an administrator on the strategy project wiki, I can't see
what got deleted there.  Can you summarize it for us (or at least, for
me, in private email, if you don't want to send to the foundation
list)?

Thank you.

--
-george william herbert