[Foundation-l] Lack of research on Wikipedia

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 23:49:10 UTC 2009

2009/8/22 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> 2009/8/21 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
>
>> Milestones are important, especially for PR purposes. We just need to
>> work out which milestones should be emphasised. For small Wikipedias
>> number of articles is probably a good choice, for larger ones,
>> particularly the English Wikipedia, it probably isn't.
>

> I'd like to have a big fuss over the "TWO BILLION WORDS" milestone,
> though that's a way off yet. TWO BILLION WORDS. Holy crap, that's a
> LOT of text.
>
> Your Featured Articles suggestion is good, though we must keep in mind
> that the en:wp FA requirements keep ratcheting upwards, such that the
> total pretty closely tracks 0.1% of the article count.

The main article growth rate is dropping, though, so the FA count
might get a chance to catch up. I don't really see that that is a
problem, anyway, more FAs is more FAs, regardless of how many other
articles there are. Standards climbing is better than standards
dropping, although that increase is standards is part of what made me
suggest including GAs too. A GA today isn't far off an FA when they
were started. Actually, it's probably stricter - we weren't too good
at references back then.