[Foundation-l] New projects opened

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 19:09:13 UTC 2009

Svip wrote:

> I guess I am too busy maintaining my own wiki as well.  Maybe a choice
> to attract editors would be similar to that of the Swedish and
> Norwegian wikis.  That, and I'd like to see more appreciation of the
> Danish language from the Danes themselves.  I hear Dutch is under the
> same criticism from the Dutch themselves.

This is interesting. My understanding is that even compared
to the Danes, the Dutch are hugely internationally minded.

In Science Fiction fandom circles I have heard of an "8person
rule of thumb" (though I admit the rule may hive more general
application within Dutch society) - whereby within spoken
communication situations, if there is one native English speaker
present, there have to be at least 8Dutch speakers present,
before even the most private comments by the Dutch speakers
will be made in Dutch.

It would be a genuinely useful data point to see how the Dutch
language wikipedia compares to any possible wikipedias of
similar number of native speakers in terms of breadth and
size, where the languages compared against do not have this
strong tradition of internationalism.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen