[Foundation-l] New projects opened

Svip svippy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 05:08:08 UTC 2009

2009/8/21 Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>:
> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>> Hoi,
>> Given that on Februari first 96.07% of the most used messages were
>> localised, it is clear that some of the most used messages were not even
>> localised. Consequently your puh puh reaction that only the rare messages
>> are affected is not correct.
>>
> Not all of the messages which are not included in "most used"
> are rare, and not all messages that are in the "most used"
> messages pile are ones that beginning editors are bound to
> encounter.
>
> So I do think Kaare is spot on to suggest it is an extraordinary
> claim that lack of localizations is driving away Danish editors,
> and as such requires extraordinary proof! Have there been
> beginning Danish wiki-editors complaining about the poor
> localization level?

I am would not claim myself to be a "beginning Danish wiki-editor",
but I am certainly complaining about the localisation of the Danish
MediaWiki.  If it wasn't obvious spelling mistakes, it was often odd
direct translations from English, without much consideration of
context.

If I were a beginning Danish wiki-editor, I would see this as
unprofessional - something which I already do in my current position -
and as a result, probably leave, or contribute less than I had
intended.

It's unfortunate to see less and less Danes taking Danish serious
enough, with English's slow integration into the Danish language.
Many things can be translated, but not necessarily everything should.

It's a balance.

/Svip

Furthermore, I think Carthage must be destroyed.