[Foundation-l] New projects opened

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 20:26:21 UTC 2009

Marcus Buck wrote:

> I don't think that there are generally too few people interested in
> those languages. It's just hard to make the start. It's immensely
> frustrating to work on a wiki all alone, writing article for article,
> and after a year, you maybe have 100 or 200 articles and your Wikipedia
> is still just a little heap of disjunct articles with hardly any blue
> links and you realize that it will take years (or decades) until you
> have written enough articles to establish a resource, that is
> interconnected through blue links and covering all basic concepts.
I think in this situation a useful page that Danny Wool
and a few of his friends thought up a few years ago,
and has been improved upon subsequently by diverse
hands, might help.

I am of course thinking about the list of 1000 articles
each wikipedia should have. Just completing a
significant part of that list is an accomplishment for
a tiny pool of editors, but is within reach, and
can serve as a useful incentive.

BTW, I understand there is some work being done
currently to define a tinier subset of that list, which
could be even better for projects with fewer contributors,
which would define what the really really really core
encyclopaedia articles are.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen