[Foundation-l] New projects opened

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 19:41:21 UTC 2009

Hoi,
Lars I completely agree that the failure of a Wikipedia IS meaningful. But
it is only meaningful if we are interested in learning what causes these
failures, what we can do to remedy these situations and when we are willing
to act upon our findings.

I mentioned earlier that the Danish localisation is less developed compared
with the Norwegian, Nynorsk and Swedish Wikipedias. What should the
consequence be for the WMF when this is the one significant factor that is
different ? Would it be reasonable to remedy such issues because it will
lower the inflection point where projects take off autonomously? When we do
not invest in language support and language technonlogy would it make sense
to enrich the content about a country in the English Wikipedia?

My question is: is it reasonable to dissect our "failed" projects and not
act upon our findings? Is it reasonable to leave finding solutions to
volunteers when there are none at present? Is it reasonable to expect people
to volunteer for complex tasks when they typically exist only in out more
mature communitees?
Thanks,
      GerardM