[Foundation-l] Open Library, Wikisource, and cleaning and translating OCR of Classics

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 01:21:50 UTC 2009

(top-posting unravelled)
On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 1:12 PM, David Goodman<dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Pavlo Shevelo<pavlo.shevelo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 12:23 AM, David Goodman<dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The training is typically an apprenticeship under the senior
>>> cataloging librarians.
>>
>> To my regret training/apprenticeship does not fit to "everyone
>> can...", "be bold!" set of wikimedia slogans/motto.
>> As to me I would stand behind (vote for) training and apprenticeship.
>
> Exactly. That is why Wikipedia is an inappropriate place for this
> project. It lacks sufficient stability. I think Wikipedia should go on
> being what it is, an almost completely open place,and projects which
> need disciplined long term expertise should be organized separately.
> Wikipedia is a wonderful place to do many things, but not all.

The good news is that the broader Wikimedia community is not all like
English Wikipedia, where "be bold" is often interpreted as demanding
that the worst of anarchy be present in every situation. ;-)

Commons and Wikisource are able to build a sensible metadata layer
around their collection using plain wiki text.  We also have a project
designed to add structure this metadata.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikicat

Either way, wikisource and commons will likely figure out a way to
have Dublin Core and MODS records for their collection in the next few
years.

--
John Vandenberg