[Foundation-l] Why hasn't the LocalisationUpdate extension been enabled?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 15:13:38 UTC 2009

Hoi,
Three things:

   - Perfection is the enemy of the good; this works now
   - This works for all extensions and MediaWiki supported in the WMF SVN
   and localised in translatewiki.net
   - This is tightly integrated with what has been localised in
   translatewiki.net

There are two benefits to this approach

   - it motivates the people that localise
   - it provides timely support for our localisation effort
   - It works inside the WMF and outside, it is self contained

Again, the scripts for the back port ONLY work for MediaWiki itself This is
not good enough because we need localisations for our extensions as well.
The LocalisationUpdate functionality has been discussed before we started
its development with Brion and Siebrand. This works and it does not require
extra work from Siebrand.. A really important KPI in my opinion.

As you may perceive from the reactions in this list we are wasting a lot of
effort from our volunteers. Implementing LocalisationUpdate is important
because it demonstrates that we value the effort and the importance of the
localisation work that is done at translatewiki.net.
Thanks,
     GerardM