[Foundation-l] Why hasn't the LocalisationUpdate extension been enabled?

Roan Kattouw roan.kattouw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 10:31:28 UTC 2009

Tim Starling <tstarling at ...> writes:
> The LocalisationUpdate extension is slow, with a significant
> performance loss per page view due to DB queries,
I can't reproduce that locally. After installing LocalisationUpdate and visiting
a few pages, I get:

LocalisationCache::isExpired(en): cache for en expired due to GlobalDependency
LocalisationCache::recache: got localisation for en from source
SQL: BEGIN
DatabaseBase::query: Writes done: DELETE FROM `l10n_cache` WHERE lc_lang = 'en'
SQL: DELETE /* LCStore_DB::startWrite Catrope */ FROM `l10n_cache` WHERE lc_lang
= 'en'
SQL: INSERT /* LCStore_DB::set Catrope */  INTO `l10n_cache` ...

Presumably this is LU invalidating the l10ncache. This does not happen on a
second or subsequent page view, though. Instead, I get

MessageCache::load: Loading en... got from global cache

and I see messages being pulled from the l10n_cache table.

If you can reproduce these extra queries locally, please tell me how.

It's true that there's a known issue with the update script being slow, but that
shouldn't be too bad since it's only supposed to be run once every 6, 12 or 24
hours or something.

> and it's
> unnecessary, because the same effect can be had with a script that
> runs svn up periodically.

Gerard already explained that that has undesirable side effects.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)