[Foundation-l] Report to the Board April 2009

Veronique Kessler vkessler at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 12 23:01:05 UTC 2009

Hi Thomas and others following this thread,

I am following up with a more detailed response.  Since the Board report
was for the month of April, but our fiscal year ended June 30, I'd like
to re-cap the fiscal year's results for the operating budget.

The plan for 2008-09 called for $7.3 million of revenue and $5.9 million
in expenses which would have resulted in a reserve of $1.4 million. Our
current estimate (we are still closing up the books) are that we will
have revenue of $7.7 million and expenses of $5.2 million which will
result in a reserve of $2.5 million.
This is good news, but at the beginning of the last online fundraiser,
back in October and November 2008, it looked like we might not make our
target for community gifts which was $3 million for the entire year
(much of it concentrated from October through January).    Thanks to a
few different factors and the personal appeal from Jimmy,  the situation
turned around and we found not only that community gifts would well
exceed the $3 million,  they would be the largest source of revenue for
the 2008-09 fiscal year and would help make up for shortfalls in other
revenue areas.

Meanwhile, our expenses were lower than plan because we slowed spending
and stopped some spending altogether from October to January.  This was
donations might be impacted significantly by the crisis.

Instead, we had a strong year and now have the task of making the best
decisions regarding reserve amounts.  As Sue said, we can't and do not
want to continually grow reserves as donors like to see their money
going towards productive work.  At the same time, we want to have a
certain level of security that when unforeseen events occur, we can be
confident that we can keep the servers running, keep the lights on and
all will be well with Wikimedia's projects.

Feel free to email with other questions,

Veronique