[Foundation-l] Board elections email adding insult to injury

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Aug 9 21:25:06 UTC 2009

Al Tally wrote:
> I don't want to seem rude, as I'm sure it's difficult and I understand the
> election committee are volunteers, but why is it that things seem to be
> going wrong this year?

Things started going wrong when the election committee didn't organize
itself in time.  It knew more than a year ago that one or more
individuals would need to be elected this year.  It knew when Wikimania
would be held (the latest dates ever).  Because of the late Wikimania,
following last year's timetable would have given them even more time to
get it together than last year.  It would not have needed to foreshorten
the voting period.  What it needs to do soon is to establish a firm
timetable for future elections.  With no elections scheduled for two
years this should not be difficult.  There is even plenty of time to do
this earlier to be able to deal with any vacancy that may arise.

Ec