[Foundation-l] Board election spamming

Kwan Ting Chan ktc at ktchan.info
Sat Aug 8 08:55:27 UTC 2009

Philippe Beaudette wrote:
> Yeah, that one's noted for the post-mortem.

I'm going to add some notes for "future generation" that send this in 2
years time based on my experience sending this last year (and also
thinking about it this year) before I forget. I'm sure this year's
committee & Werdna will have their own note to add.

(Note: this is not a list of what haven't been done, but what should be
considered for someone starting anew.)

* Make sure the committee argues on how & who the emails will be sent
early on, and not still wondering about it 4 days before the end of
voting....

* Send those emails somewhere near the start of voting, not 3 days
before the end... ;)

* Given a list of all the eligible voters from the start of the
election, remove all belonging to the same user (think SUL), remove and
leave only primary account for non-unified account with the same email
address. Remove in advance, or check and remove in real time all
accounts marked as bot & blocked. Remove all those on the
[[meta:Wikimedia nomail list]].

* Take snapshot of all those that have voted at start of email run, and
remove from email list.

In terms of the actual message:
* Translate the email subject as well as the main body text.

* Translate the the string "{Year} Board Election Committee" or similar
and use it as the From header, and at the end of the the body text.

* Have a table of all active projects in their local name instead of
just using the English version.

Hope that helps anyone reading this in 2 years time. :D

KTC

/me wait 2 years to see if it makes any difference

     - Heinrich Heine