[Foundation-l] Board election spamming

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 06:47:46 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 2:38 AM, Gerard
Meijssen<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> This is a huge improvement over the last election where not all projects
> were targeted for this type of mail. As a result there is less bias in the
> system. So you can opt out if you do not want to receive an e-mail for the
> next election.
>
> Iit is a huge improvement to have an e-mail by the organisers of the
> election over someone who does because he can and has thinks it a good idea.
> This is very much a friendly nudge to go and do your democratic duty because
> you can.

Although it's not an improvement in that its very close to the
election and the rate of response to the mail appeared to lag several
days in a prior election.

A lot of people are going to notice the mail next week and be annoyed
that they were left out.

Someone should make a note of that for the future.  My rule of thumb
for any notification procedure on Wikipedia, based on meetup and other
events, is that one week is required to even reach a majority of the
eventual targets and that two is much better. Sufficient notice is
important—  Especially when responding to the notice is something that
may require reading a half meg of text or so.