[Foundation-l] Upcoming tech hiring: CTO position split

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 21:35:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Erik Moeller<erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Our approach to job titles actually has an emerging basic pattern. :-)
> It's not 100% consistent because we sometimes have stuck with commonly
> used titles like "Office Manager" and "General Counsel", but generally
> one we try to follow:
[snip]

It's not bad to have an internal pattern, but I think it's more
important to match the practices in industry.

By containing the magic words "senior" and "architect" the proposed
"Senior Software Architect" is, in my experience, not inconsistent
with industry naming practice for the most important tech guru who
isn't primarily a manager.

It's not a bad title in any case.

(I was previously a manager and made a decision to hire a boss because
I realized I'd rather be doing technical work than performance
reviews.  These days I'm just a lowly 'Senior … Engineer', and I'm
quite happy with that, thank you very much)