[Foundation-l] Upcoming tech hiring: CTO position split

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 7 21:19:24 UTC 2009

2009/8/7 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
> It's not really title inflation to give someone that is in charge of
> something a title which says that.

Our approach to job titles actually has an emerging basic pattern. :-)
It's not 100% consistent because we sometimes have stuck with commonly
used titles like "Office Manager" and "General Counsel", but generally
one we try to follow:

"Chief" positions = senior level positions with direct reports and
departmental budgets;
"Head of" positions = positions with their own budget, and sometimes
1-2 direct reports, reporting to a c-level position
"Senior" positions = positions requiring significant experience;
positions w/ high influence and sometimes direct reports

As you can see from the current tech department, it's unusual in that
it doesn't currently have any "Head of" roles with the exception of IT
support. With that same exception, the budget is at present centrally
managed by Brion.

We're considering multiple approaches to division, including the
introduction of a "Head of Operations" role for all site ops, and
that'll be a conversation that we'll have with the new CTO. We may or
may not revisit the job title for Brion's new role at that point, and
he continues to serve as the CTO until then.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation