[Foundation-l] Two questions about the licensing update of media files

Petr Kadlec petr.kadlec at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 08:34:31 UTC 2009

2009/8/4 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen na gmail.com>:
> Uploading material that is incompatible with our license, I would personally
> consider it a bad faith move. Only when it is considered that the inclusion
> of a GFDL file is similar to fair use within the context of a Wikipedia
> clone would it be acceptable. This however possibly negates the reason for
> uploading under the GFDL of the uploader.
>
> Commons was originally conceived as a shared repository for all WMF
> projects. When the WMF projects are not allowed to use material from
> Commons, it is definetly not the place to upload new incompatible material.

I have said this to you before: GFDL has never been incompatible with
CC in the context of embedding images in encyclopedic text. At the
very least, we have always insisted they are compatible (otherwise we
would not have been able to include CC-licensed images in GFDL text,
which we did all the time).

GFDL-only uploads are not very nice (and I am sad to see them,
especially on featured media); by all means, encourage CC licenses.
But don’t spread FUD, please.

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]