[Foundation-l] Two questions about the licensing update of media files

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 06:41:37 UTC 2009

Hoi,
Uploading material that is incompatible with our license, I would personally
consider it a bad faith move. Only when it is considered that the inclusion
of a GFDL file is similar to fair use within the context of a Wikipedia
clone would it be acceptable. This however possibly negates the reason for
uploading under the GFDL of the uploader.

Commons was originally conceived as a shared repository for all WMF
projects. When the WMF projects are not allowed to use material from
Commons, it is definetly not the place to upload new incompatible material.
Thanks,
      GerardM