[Foundation-l] The EFF appears to be somewhat upset by the foundation

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 18:01:48 UTC 2009

Interesting - I wonder if this is in any way related to the decisions
underlying the recent board statement on trademarks? Has the Foundation
pursued Wikipedia Review in the same manner?

Nathan

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 1:51 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Can a noncommercial critical website use the trademark of the entity
> it critiques in its domain name? Surprisingly, it appears that the
> usually open-minded folks at Wikipedia think not."
>
> http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/04/wikipedia-threatens-
>
> While I would regard the title of the article as misleading this is
> going to be something of a PR problem.
>
> Legally I've not looked at it closely and trademark isn't my thing
> although there may be potential to annoy everyone by arguing that the
> well documented existence of the "wikipedia loves art" err brand means
> there are potential passing off issues.
>
> --
> geni

Your donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia Foundation
today: http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate