[Foundation-l] Principle and pragmatism with nudity and sexual content

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Tue Apr 21 07:46:56 UTC 2009

>>> I second this. Does anyone really believe it is even possible to set
>>> one standard of what it means to be 'collegial' and 'collaborative' for
>>> all cultures? These things are not absolute values and each community
>>> needs to work out what standards are most pragmatic for it's members.
>
> Well, we do have a few universal values shared across projects --
> including those which were made concrete when community members hashed
> out the foundation mission and vision statements.  But it's not clear
> in which community it is appropriate to discuss those... [certainly
> many people are now expected to abide by the global standards set
> forth in the language of those statements who were active editors a
> few years ago and did not take part in the discussions about how to
> word them]

May be I misunderstand smth but as far as nudity is concerned (to return
to the original topic), obviously standards are very much different in
Denmark and Iran. Does it make sense to make a global standard and impose
it on Danish and Farsi wikipedias at the same time? Especially if this
standard gets voted for on Meta dominated by Americans who have the third
standard? As far as I am concerned as soon as the issue gets over BLP (for
which we need to have the common policy) it is not a subject for global
meta or foundation decision anymore.

Cheers
Yaroslav