[Foundation-l] Anarchopedia changed its license

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 05:10:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 6:04 AM, Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:
> I'm surprised that Anarchopedia has decided to use MediaWiki which is, at
> its core, based on capitalist values such as the notion of authorship. It is
> not straightforward at all to subvert this notion in the software which was
> designed to give credit to individuals for every single edit.

I see that you really don't like our new image at the left bottom corner :)

> Since site TOS
> are still an untested legal grey area it is not clear that simply stating
> that user's who contribute but do not specify a license automatically
> release their work into the public domain. This is because many countries
> automatically provide legal protections and the software leaves a trace back
> to the author. Further, since anarchists hate capitalist values so much it
> seems like they would have issues hiring a lawyer to check whether what they
> are doing is legal.

By accident, I am very well introduced in licensing issues, even I
really don't like that. Also, my positions toward legal issues are
much more conservative than positions of Mike Godwin and Michael Snow,
both. And I don't see any problem in Anarchopedia's licensing terms.
It seems that you didn't see that default licensing is
"PD/attribution-only, depending of jurisdiction".