[Foundation-l] Anarchopedia changed its license

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Mon Apr 20 04:04:34 UTC 2009

I'm surprised that Anarchopedia has decided to use MediaWiki which is, at
its core, based on capitalist values such as the notion of authorship. It is
not straightforward at all to subvert this notion in the software which was
designed to give credit to individuals for every single edit. Since site TOS
are still an untested legal grey area it is not clear that simply stating
that user's who contribute but do not specify a license automatically
release their work into the public domain. This is because many countries
automatically provide legal protections and the software leaves a trace back
to the author. Further, since anarchists hate capitalist values so much it
seems like they would have issues hiring a lawyer to check whether what they
are doing is legal.

The very existence of "Anarchopedia" - an anarchist encyclopedia based on
Wikipedia, is a contradiction in my mind. Wikipedia stands for everything
Anarchopedia does not and developed software based on those principle - many
of which could be considered "capitalist values". It would take a very
different kind of software to suit the needs of anarchists.

Perhaps more confusing is the choice of a wiki in the first place...