[Foundation-l] Alternating sitenotices is kinda confusing

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 02:42:29 UTC 2009

2009/4/15 Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:
> 2009/4/14 Michael Snow <wikipedia at verizon.net>:
>> That's okay, my previous reply was a little snarky itself. I don't know
>> that we have a perfect solution, but I think the mixed messages are
>> worth fixing.
>
> Agreed, and this is an issue that will occur again when we have
> overlapping important announcements. My intuitive take is that
> stacking messages, or moving them into different places, aren't
> scalable solutions. It might be desirable to have a minimal "tab"
> interface to switch between multiple active notices. We'll kick around
> some ideas, but if anyone wants to create mock-ups or make
> suggestions, please do :-)

Tabs are for stuff you care about. It doesn't make sense to use them
for unbidden "notices".

The notices could be briefer, I mean they could be "Licensing update -
vote" and "Wikimania scholarships - apply". Then combining them would
not be so bad.

A long term resolution is a good idea, but to resolve the current
problem, could we please at least combine the messages for the term of
the licensing vote?

Brianna

http://modernthings.org/