[Foundation-l] Foundation policy on linking to website that violates copyright

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Tue Apr 14 21:31:34 UTC 2009

Ilya Schurov wrote:
> OK, let me put my question in the following way:
>
> What is the status of this page:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Copyright, which says: "Giving external
> links to copyright-violating content is prohibited"? Is it a policy
> every project should follow?

Yes, they should, that's part of our general respect for copyright laws.
Note that this is phrased specifically in terms of links to infringing
content, rather than talking about links to a site, since parts of a
site may be free of infringements. And as was pointed out earlier, this
does not mean there's a duty to investigate, just that we should act
appropriately when infringements are discovered.

--Michael Snow