[Foundation-l] Court: Congress can't put public domain back into copyright

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 17:53:18 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 4/6/09, Andrew Gray <andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk> wrote:

> From: Andrew Gray <andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk>
> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Court: Congress can't put public domain back into copyright
> Date: Monday, April 6, 2009, 12:39 PM
> 2009/4/6 Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com>:
>

> > While this is definitely encouraging news, we might
> want to hold off on changing our evaluation of
> > URAA restorations.  The tenth circuit doesn't include
> Florida.  I don't know exactly what the next
> > level of appeals would be, but we might want to wait
> for a ruling that covers WMF servers before
> > we act on it.  I hope these restorations continue to
> be struck down in the courts.  It will be much
> > simpler to determine copyright if they go away.
>
> Somewhat tangentially, do we still need to worry about
> Florida? I was
> under the impression we'd moved wholesale, servers and all,
> California, so we were in the ninth circuit
> jurisdiction...
>
> --

I remember once asking about this during the move.  At the time I was concerned about the weird and unpalatable 9th Circuit Ruling in Twin Books  v. Walt Disney [1].  The response was that the servers were remaining in Florida.  Please someone correct if I am mistaken.

Birgitte SB

[1] http://williampatry.blogspot.com/2006/12/bambis-twin-copyright-horrors.html