[Foundation-l] Frustration with the conversion engines issue

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 13:11:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Ting Chen <wing.philopp at gmx.de> wrote:
> As far as I know, you can define escapes globally for the whole article.
> This would make an escape in every sentence unnecessary. Take as example
> the following example:
> http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%96%AF%E6%B4%9B%E5%8D%9A%E4%B8%B9%C2%B7%E7%B1%B3%E6%B4%9B%E8%88%8D%E7%BB%B4%E5%A5%87
>
> You see on the left corner of the article (above the info-box) a
> triangle sign. It explains which global escapes are used in this article
> for the title and for other words. Indeed in some articles that list
> could be quite long, like here:
> http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B9%94%E6%B2%BB%C2%B7%E8%B5%AB%E4%BC%AF%E7%89%B9%C2%B7%E6%B2%83%E5%85%8B%C2%B7%E5%B8%83%E4%BB%80

This is true for logosyllabic orthographies for highly analytic
languages like Chinese situation is. Alphabetic orthographies in
conjunction with synthetic language (Belarus, Serbian) system would
get a mess from such implementation. For example, genitive plural of
one noun may be the same as the second future tense of another verb.