[Foundation-l] Data retention

Betacommand Betacommand at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 17:33:58 UTC 2008

Anthony, you need to review the workings of a checkuser. I am not a CU But I
know for a fact that is very very easy to avoid auto blocks and using same
IPs as an origional account. all you have to do is change your IP. the thing
is most IPs are acllocated on /24 or /16 groupings sometimes you get smaller
goupings but you can say xxx.xxx.xxx.0 through xxx.xxx.xxx.25 are the same
provider and most of the time the same regional area. (city/ region ) that
is used as part of the proof checkusers use to prove socking along with
other useragents. socking is more than is this just the same IP?. many many
users use shared IPs but that does not make them socks. without a full
investigaion having a list of all recent IPs used by a user, user-agents,
edit times, and edit contents are all part of the complex art of proving two
accounts are the same human. it also allows for detecting open proxies and
indef blocking them instead of just allowing autoblock.
I would recommend everyone who has no clue about checkuser process to shut
up and stop putting their mouth where it does not belong because most users
are clueless about the complexity of checkuser information and what needs
done to conclusively prove two accounts are used by the same user.

Betacommand