[Foundation-l] Language proposal policy - Ausbausprache - Abstandsprache - Dachsprache

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 21:29:36 UTC 2008

This is a good point, and it is a difficult decision. Sometimes, I
think, the standards bodies make the wrong decision. On the other
hand, it is fairly arbitrary, so I don't think we could necessarily do
a "better" job on our own. Perhaps in close cases, it is better to ask
several experts in particular languages. I know that for much of the
Ethnologue, experts were not directly consulted. That is why
amendments are still made to ISO 639-3 - it isn't perfect.

Mark