[Foundation-l] Global blocking needs to be halted for now

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 14 14:39:47 UTC 2008

--- On Sun, 9/14/08, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Foundation-l] Global blocking needs to be halted for now
> Date: Sunday, September 14, 2008, 9:32 AM
> I received a request by email to allow a user to edit en.WS
> because of be on a globally hard-blocked IP.  It was
> forwarded with previous discussion from the blocking account
> DerHexter about how the stewards are unable/uninterested
> making a account IP block exempt on a global level.  Equally
> there is no ability to make an account IP block exempt on
> en.WS and likely countless other wikis.  Since I am
> fortunate enough to be involved in a English project I can
> go look at en.WP and understand what I am lacking at en.WS.
> Some wikis are probably completely clueless as to why some
> accounts can no longer edit.
>
> The current message on being globally blocked is
> ==================================================You do
> not have permission to edit pages, for the following reason:
> Your IP address has been blocked on all wikis by DerHexer
> (meta.wikimedia.org).The reason given was "massive
> crosswiki vandalism; grawp IP range". The block expires
> 12:06, 24 November 2008.You can view and copy the source of
> this page:
>

> Until this message is updated to contain a linked message
> of "to apply for your account to be exempt from this IP
> block make a request here" and there is a process in
> place to handle these requests global blocking of IP
> addresses needs to be put on hold.

BTW I love how looking at the global block list all the reasons are in english shorthand with no links.  Wasn't it said during the discussion of enabling this feature that the block reason would have links to a help page in multiple languages for all the non-english speakers that are being blocked.

Birgitte SB