[Foundation-l] Global blocking needs to be halted for now

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 14 14:32:33 UTC 2008

I received a request by email to allow a user to edit en.WS because of be on a globally hard-blocked IP.  It was forwarded with previous discussion from the blocking account DerHexter about how the stewards are unable/uninterested making a account IP block exempt on a global level.  Equally there is no ability to make an account IP block exempt on en.WS and likely countless other wikis.  Since I am fortunate enough to be involved in a English project I can go look at en.WP and understand what I am lacking at en.WS.  Some wikis are probably completely clueless as to why some accounts can no longer edit.

The current message on being globally blocked is
==================================================You do not have permission to edit pages, for the following reason: Your IP address has been blocked on all wikis by DerHexer (meta.wikimedia.org).The reason given was "massive crosswiki vandalism; grawp IP range". The block expires 12:06, 24 November 2008.You can view and copy the source of this page: ==================================================

Until this message is updated to contain a linked message of "to apply for your account to be exempt from this IP block make a request here" and there is a process in place to handle these requests global blocking of IP addresses needs to be put on hold.

Birgitte SB